The most up-to-date, comprehensive, and authoritative pharmacology text in health medicine
Enhanced by more than three hundred illustrations — many in full color
Organized to reflect the syllabi in many pharmacology courses and in integrated curricula, Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, 12e covers the important concepts students need to know about the science of pharmacology and its application to clinical practice. Selection of the subject matter and order of its presentation are based on the authors’ many years experience in teaching this material to thousands of medical, pharmacy, dental, podiatry, nursing, and other health science students.
To be as clinically relevant as possible, the book includes sections that specifically address the clinical choice and use of drugs in patients and the monitoring of their effects, and case studies that introduce clinical problems in many chapters. Presented in full color and enhanced by more than three hundred illustrations, Basic & Clinical Pharmacology features numerous summary tables and diagrams that encapsulate important information.
Coverage that spans every aspect of medical pharmacology:
- Basic principles
- Autonomic drugs
- Cardiovascular-renal drugs
- Drugs with important actions on smooth muscles
- Central nervous system drugs
- Drugs used to treat anemias, clotting disorders, hyperlipidemia, and inflammation and gout
- Endocrine drugs
- Chemotherapeutic and immunologic drugs
- Special subjects (perinatal, geriatric, and dermatologic pharmacology)
- Botanical and “food supplements,” and over-the-counter medications
Also in this edition:
- Drug Summary Tables conclude most chapters, providing a concise summary of the most important drugs
- General concepts relating to newly discovered receptors, receptor mechanisms, and drug transporters
- Descriptions of important new drugs, including monoclonal antibodies
Did you know that:
- More than 80% of the foods you eat in restaurants and buy at supermarkets contain genetically engineered ingredients, and that these ingredients have been linked to toxic and allergic reactions in people; sickness, sterility, and fatalities in livestock; and damage to virtually every organ studied in lab animals?
- If you don’t count French fries, ketchup or pizza as vegetables, more than half of Americans eat no vegetables at all?
- Cows raised for meat are impacting our climate more than cars?
- It’s possible to be a positive food revolutionary without sounding like a self-righteous nag?
Join John and Ocean Robbins for 21 intimate, game-changing conversations with some of the world’s leading “food revolutionaries”: scientists, doctors, teachers, farmers, economists, activists, and nutritionists working on food issues today. Introduced and with commentary by John Robbins and his son Ocean, the book features luminaries such as:
- Dean Ornish, MD, on his years-in-the-making breakthrough with Medicare (his program for healing heart disease is now covered)
- Kathy Freston on making incremental, manageable changes to how we eat
- T. Colin Campbell, PhD, (author of the famed China Study) with the latest research on animal protein and human health
- Joel Fuhrman, MD (author of the bestselling Eat to Live), on achieving excellent health through diet
- Caldwell Esselstyn, MD, of the Cleveland Clinic on wiping out heart disease by changing what we eat
- Vandana Shiva, PhD, on GMOs and Big Ag
- Rory Freedman on how to stop eating misery and start looking fabulous
- Raj Patel on building a saner global food policy
Each contributor discusses his or her work in depth, but together they make one rallying cry: for a healthy, sustainable, humane, and delicious revolution in how we and the world are fed. Over twenty-five years ago John Robbins started a revolution. This book is proof of how far we’ve come, a fascinating look behind the scenes of the multi-faceted food movement, and a call to join in the work of ensuring our health and food future.
In her bestselling book, The Beauty Detox Solution, Kimberly Snyder—one of Hollywood’s top celebrity nutritionists and beauty experts—shared the groundbreaking program that keeps her A-list clientele in red-carpet shape. Now you can get the star treatment with this guide to the top 50 beauty foods that will make you more beautiful from the inside out. Stop wasting your money on fancy, expensive beauty products and get real results, while spending less at your neighborhood grocery.
– Enjoy avocados and sweet potatoes for youthful, glowing skin
– Snack on pumpkin seeds for lustrous hair
– Eat bananas and celery to diminish under-eye circles
With over 85 recipes that taste as good as they make you look, you can finally take charge of your health and beauty—one delicious bite at a time.
Whatever your fitness regimen, health goals, or daily routine–this massive book of 100+ smoothie recipes has a recipe for every occasion. Potassium-rich bananas, free radical-fighting blueberries, nutrient-rich spinach, succulent mango, or light and sweet almond milk, every delicious natural ingredient you can think of pairs up in this smoothie bible for devoted followers of the healthy smoothie revolution that’s sweeping the nation.
Author Farnoosh Brock shares her knowledge, discoveries, useful tips, and lessons learned from years of making smoothies and getting healthier from the powerhouse of nutrition from these drinks. She gives you the full scoop on how to get started, how to keep it simple, how to listen to your body as you add healthy smoothies into your life and how to heal your body and return it to harmony using the magic of your blender.
Wondering how to stay motivated after the initial excitement wears off? How to make smoothies quickly and efficiently while still keeping it fun and fresh? Farnoosh talks you through all of those situations, and gives you tips on how to manage each as you move forward with The Healthy Smoothie Bible.
So start your blenders–and enjoy this comprehensive resource about every aspect of the wonderful world of healthy smoothies!
The New York Times bestselling 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse will jump-start your weight loss, increase your energy level, clear your mind, and improve your overall health.
Made up of supernutrients from leafy greens and fruits, green smoothies are filling and healthy and you will enjoy drinking them. Your body will also thank you for drinking them as your health and energy improve to levels you never thought possible. It is an experience that could change your life if you stick with it!
This book provides a shopping list, recipes, and detailed instructions for the 10-day cleanse, along with suggestions for getting the best results. It also offers advice on how to continue to lose weight and maintain good health afterwards.
Are you ready to look slimmer, healthier, and sexier than you have in years? Then get ready to begin the 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse!
If you successfully complete the 10-Day Green Smoothie Cleanse, you will…
• Lose 10–15 pounds in 10 days
• Get rid of stubborn body fat, including belly fat
• Drop pounds and inches fast, without grueling workouts
• Learn to live a healthier lifestyle of detoxing and healthy eating
• Naturally crave healthy foods so you never have to diet again
• Receive over 100 recipes for various health conditions and goals
In this New York Times–bestselling book, Dr. Daniel Siegel shows parents how to turn one of the most challenging developmental periods in their children’s lives into one of the most rewarding.
Between the ages of twelve and twenty-four, the brain changes in important and, at times, challenging ways. In Brainstorm, Dr. Daniel Siegel busts a number of commonly held myths about adolescence—for example, that it is merely a stage of “immaturity” filled with often “crazy” behavior. According to Siegel, during adolescence we learn vital skills, such as how to leave home and enter the larger world, connect deeply with others, and safely experiment and take risks.
Drawing on important new research in the field of interpersonal neurobiology, Siegel explores exciting ways in which understanding how the brain functions can improve the lives of adolescents, making their relationships more fulfilling and less lonely and distressing on both sides of the generational divide.
IMAGINE YOURSELF HEALTHIER THAN YOU EVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE.
IT STARTS WITH FOOD.
It Starts With Food outlines a clear, balanced, sustainable plan to change the way you eat forever—and transform your life in profound and unexpected ways. Your success story begins with the Whole30®, Dallas and Melissa Hartwig’s powerful 30-day nutritional reset.
Since 2009, their underground Whole30 program has quietly led tens of thousands of people to weight loss, enhanced quality of life, and a healthier relationship with food—accompanied by stunning improvements in sleep, energy levels, mood, and self-esteem. More significant, many people have reported the “magical” elimination of a variety of symptoms, diseases, and conditions in just 30 days.
- high cholesterol
- high blood pressure
- chronic fatigue
- sinus infections
- acid reflux
- celiac disease
- bipolar disorder
- Lyme disease
- multiple sclerosis
Now, Dallas and Melissa detail not just the “how” of the Whole30, but also the “why,” summarizing the science in a simple, accessible manner. It Starts With Food reveals how specific foods may be having negative effects on how you look, feel, and live—in ways that you’d never associate with your diet. More important, they outline their lifelong strategy for eating Good Food in one clear and detailed action plan designed to help you create a healthy metabolism, heal your digestive tract, calm systemic inflammation, and put an end to unhealthy cravings, habits, and relationships with food.
Infused with the Hartwigs’ signature wit, tough love, and common sense, It Starts With Food is based on the latest scientific research and real-life experience, and includes testimonials, a detailed shopping guide, a meal-planning template, a Meal Map with creative, delicious recipes, and much more.